Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:Does heating the center conductor damage it in any way??

OK...first, I don't cook it, just hit it barely enough to heat the dielectric, I make sure not to heat the shield. I also clean the cable after I clean the dielectric so the wd helps cool it...in fact I can touch it with my hands when I am done and it is not hot when I insert it in to the connector. If you know this causes suck outs then I will stop, but keep in mind I am barely heating it at all. And furthermore I have never heard about any problems with any of my work that I have done so I must be doing something right. I guess the key is "too much" right?

>You heard it here from the voice of experience.
>
>>The real reason...let's go back to 5th grade science class. Heat expands, cold shrinks. Aerial expansion loops sound familiar? Heating the center conductor too much will prevent it from sliding into the pin properly. New connectors, especially PPC, will not sit properly on a heated center conductor.
>>Cable is now a high tech network. Do it right and save the sweepers from suck outs, or keep on heating and work yourself out of work.
>>
>>>I've been heating the center conductor of coax cable with a torch to help remove the dielectric since I have been doing cable. It is the way I was taught and practically everyone I have watched or spoken with has done the same. I heat and use a pair of Y-190's some people use a torch and string. I was just wondering if this damages or affects the cable in any way. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
This is CABL.com posting #27961. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mhq9
Posted in reply to: Re:Does heating the center conductor damage it in any way?? by Jeff@CableResourcesInc
There are 2 replies to this message
Re:Does heating the center conductor damage it in any way?? Jeff@CableResourcesInc 12/7/2000 10:41:00 AM