Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: gaffs

LOL.....  I see you caught hell for asking this question.  You are probably like me and live in a large metro area where hooks aren't really needed and are rarely used. I think some of these guys may not realize thst in some areas you just don't see people use hooks.  Ive been in the business 15 years and have only seen 2 guys use hooks, and I saw them while working on the road in a rural area.  I suppose the guys in contruction here still use them quite often.  But thats about it.

In order to get a job with the telco, I had to get "hook certified" by the company.  We would go up 6', safety belt on,  do a few manuvers, and then safty belt off, and hook down. We would then repeat this at 12' and 18'. Once certified, I never used them again.  I wasn't even issued a pair, because they simply wern't needed where i worked. In my area, about 99% of the poles are in alleys and have pole steps, so hooks just aren't needed. 

Hooking is not rocket science. You just have to be taught how to do it. You could probably pick it up after about 32 hours of training. I have to agree that in some cases, using hooks would be much easier than lugging a ladder around.  But when 99% of your poles are in easily accesible alleys and have pole steps. Hooking a pole is something you probably won't see done. 

But if you ever plan to hit the road and work in different areas, I would suggest learning to use them. When you work in some of the smaller more rural areas, guys are sometime so spread out that the one or 2 guys with the buckets may be an hour away from you.  You don't want to have to sit idle and wait for them lol......... 
This is CABL.com posting #274593. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbjA5
Posted in reply to: gaffs by johnneher
There are 0 replies to this message