Create your free account now! Sign up

profiling bad?

So they are upset they are being profiled after bombing so many things here and abroad. So they are upset after finding a guy ready to blow up a building. And then some act like they knew nothing about what was happening. Some didn't know. But some did and said nothing. Those are probably the same ones complaining. They know if they bitch loud enough there are idiots who will listen and force security agencies to ease up there by creating an opening for another attack by the very people who have been trying to kill up for decades now. Muslim men between the ages of 17 and 40.

Members of the New York City Muslim community suggested Saturday they were being unfairly targeted in a terror plot probe, as a friend of the probe's prime suspect said the scrutiny has put his "life on hold."

Several people speaking Saturday afternoon at a news conference cautioned authorities against profiling Muslims in their probe of an alleged bomb plot with links to Al Qaeda.

The suspect, Najibullah Zazi, an Afghan immigrant who worked in Denver and New York City, is being held without bond in New York. The friend, Naiz Khan, befriended Zazi 10 years ago at a mosque.

Kahn let Zazi stay with him in New York City in the days leading up to what investigators say was a failed attempt last month to bomb sites as the city marked eight years since the Al Qaeda attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Kahn now is under 24-hour FBI surveillance.

"We are so, so nervous," Khan told reporters at the news conference, organized by the nonprofit group DRUM in Queens, N.Y. "My life has been affected by this. I have no job. ... I have put my life on hold."

DRUM, which stands for Desis Rising Up and Moving, describes itself as a group representing South Asian immigrants of various generations in New York City.

Its executive director said that a wave of fear has gripped the Queens community since raids of several apartments and businesses were executed there last month as part of the investigation into the suspected bomb plot.

"People should not be profiled or characterized as terrorists because of religion," Monami Maulik told reporters Saturday afternoon.

The suspect, Zazi, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of conspiring to detonate explosives in the United States, and on Friday, Zazi's father pleaded not guilty to a charge of lying to investigators.

Federal authorities accuse the younger Zazi of trying to make homemade explosives using ingredients from beauty supply stores in the Denver area.

Authorities say the 24-year-old, who allegedly received terror training at an Al Qaeda camp in Pakistan, was plotting an attack in New York City on Sept. 11
This is CABL.com posting #274500. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbjzA
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: profiling bad? LocoDawg 10/10/2009 9:28:10 PM