Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Has anyone switched to sales?

Cable Installation is like a Training Program for Cable Sales.  I made the switch 5 years ago and opened my own Sales Contracting Company this year.  If you are an Installer, you already know everything you need to know...now you just have to go and talk to people about it.

Compare the pay of the Line Items.  I recently ran across one of my old Installation Invoices, and I had to laugh that I used to work so hard for that kind of money...$14.40 for a drop with the Audit Box?  I remember 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week, hundreds of driving and traffic miles, carrying and climbing a Ladder, waiting in line at the Warehouse for equipment...to make $1500.00, at least $200.00 of which I had to spend on Gas and Food.  There were some days I was so tired I couldn't even sleep.

Then I found out about the Commision Pay in Sales and never looked back, except maybe to recite a horror-story or two.  There is no comparison.  On average, you will make 3 times as much money to sell Cable as you will to install it.  For example:  In our Charter system, if you sell a new Triple Play at $81.99, you will be paid a minimum of $190.00.  You have to sell it, schedule it, and follow up with the customer by phone, all of which should take  less than an hour of your time, and you make $190.00, or more.  In our Comcast System, selling an $89.99 Triple Play nets you a whopping $425.00.  In my opinion, there is just no comparison.

Here are some other benefits I've found:

1) Driving and Expense.  Now, instead of fighting traffic throughout the day, I just park my Car and stroll down the street.  Less Gas less Stress.

2) I'm still an Independent Contractor, but now I make more money and I have more time. 

3) I haven't heard an Alarm Clock in years

4) As an Installer, I had to worry about work itself...was there a route for me today?  In Cable Sales, I create work.  Enough said.

So I'm all for making the Switch, but I have to include a warning...be careful.  Just like the Installation Contractors, many Cable Sales outfits will simply steal your pay.  We take the risk as Contractors.  If the "Sales Manager" you're dealing with walks, talks, and smells like a scumbag, then he probably is.  For some reason this business attracts bottom-feeders.  As you move into Sales and away from real work, as required by Installation, it only gets worse.  But there are good companies out there.  Mine is one of them. 
This is CABL.com posting #272900. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbi9M
Posted in reply to: Re: Has anyone switched to sales? by Gwester843
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Has anyone switched to sales? Bkable 10/2/2009 12:20:04 AM
Re: Has anyone switched to sales? Gwester843 9/29/2009 7:15:46 PM
Re: Has anyone switched to sales? saemprez 9/29/2009 4:07:02 PM