Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Speed of upload and download Info Please?

internet if a crazy thing... If it is cable internet, you do share the speed with everyone on the "node", but under perfect conditions, there should be enough for everyone. (DSL is different, not shared, but normally can't go as fast as cable) I'm on TW with 18mbps down and 1mbps up. During the day at some points it does go slower than other times. ( google the word speedtest, and pick the server that is closest to you). You will need to test it often during the week to see if it really is slow, or does it just seem slow. If your speed does not change with the weather then likely it is not related to the line or install itself. I have had many rounds with TW to keep my speed in tip top shape, but they have an expensive tool they use to diag all the "internet" related items on the line, and a few times it was some error at the "local office" and other times it was on the pole, and still others were the cable modem itself. As to your test with a wireless G card, don't forget that it can only have a max 54mbps, but if you are not right next to the router, it is likely much less than 54mbps). If you are fiber to the node, or fiber to the home, its a whole new ball game, and I don't have any experience with it. (with everything I have said, it is the norm, not the exception, anything is possible)
This is CABL.com posting #267751. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbhOJ
Posted in reply to: Speed of upload and download Info Please? by dukebarron
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Speed of upload and download Info Please? Splicer Life 4me 9/1/2009 10:25:56 PM