Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: grounding

Relevent citations from 2008 National Electric Code (applicable only if your state has adopted 2008 NEC):
810.20 (this same code is multiple 800 chapters)
(F) Electrode.  The grounding conductor shall be connected as required in (F)(1) through (F)(3).
(1) In Buildings or Structures with an Intersystem Bonding Termination.  If the building or structure has an intersystem bonding termination, the grounding conductor shall be connected to the intersystem bonding termination.
(2) In Buildings or Structures with Grounding Means.  If the building or structure served has no intersystem bonding termination, the grounding conductor shall be connected to the nearest accessible location on the following:
  (1)  The building or structure grounding electrode system as covered in 250.50
  (2)  The grounded interior metal water piping systems, within 1.52m (5 ft) from its point of entrance to the building, as convered in 250.52.
  (3)  The power service accessible means external to the building, as covered in 250.94.
  (4)  The metallic power service raceway.
  (5)  The grounding electrode conductor or the grounding electrode conductor metal enclosures
  A bonding device indended to provide a termination point for the grounding conductor (intersystem bonding) shall not interfer with the opening of an equipment enclosure.  A bonding device shall be mounted on non-removable parts.  A bonding device shall not be mounted on a door or cover even if the door or cover is non-removable.
(3) In Buildings or Structures Without Intersystem Bonding Termination or Grounding Means.  If the building or structure served has no intersystem bonding termination or grounding means, as described in 810.21(F)(1).
  (1) To any one of the individual electrodes described in 250.52; or
  (2) If the building or structure served has no grounding means, as described in 810.21(F)(1) or (F)(2), to an effectively grounded metal structure.
(G) Inside or Outside Building.  The grounding conductor shall be permitted to be run either inside or outside the building.
(H) Size.  The grounding conductor shall not be smaller than 10AWG copper, 8AWG aluminum, or 17AWG copper-clad steel or bronze.
(K) Electrode Connection.  Connections to grounding electrodes shall comply with 250.70

The answer to any grounding question is that it depends on the building or structure and state/local law regarding what code has been adopted.

The times I have taken on a baby sitting job this is how it works.  First I pull the NEC out of my truck because I am not a cheap ass and actually have a copy of it.  Given every single contract is based on the NEC I can't believe every shop is not required to have a copy on hand.  Then it is explained all installation grounding is contracted to be performed according to the NEC.  That means if I pull one tool off of my truck to fix your sh*t so the install meets the code contained in this book there will be a back charge.  Once I fix a job, document the fix, and substantiate the fix with pictures there is no debate, do not be a cry baby.  If you feel you have been wrongfully back charged or feel you know the code better than I do: (1) have your attorney contact me or (2) make a small claims filing with the clerk of courts.  We're all subs here, and all have our own jobs to do, business is business.  For those of you who do not know the NEC code I highly recommend placing all ground blocks near the electric meter for proper grounding regardless of how sh*tty it makes the job.

I will be donating my time for a free one hour class the day after payday before the shop normally opens if anyone signs up for it on this sign-up sheet right here.  To attend you must purchase a copy of the NEC in advance or indicate that you want me to make you xerox copies of chapters 800, 810, 820, 830 & 250.  Please note if I am making copies you will pay me the couple bucks for the copies because I am not begging the cheap a**es around here to use their copier, nor is my cheap a** spending a couple bucks on you.  Those who sign up for and attend my class are welcome to contact me anytime and burden me with their NEC questions from any job site.

Regarding my personal views on grounding I do not care whether or not it is beneficial.  I only care to the point that the job is to code and I am covered.  If anything happens to a $4000 subscriber television the insurance adjusters job is to find someone to pay for it.  I will not be paying for it because my job will be installed according to the NEC which includes more than just grounding.
Regarding what the inhouse techs, or other crews do... I don't care.  My customer is the person who signs my check which is xyz company not the subscriber.  I am here to facilitate the management of their contract, insure they remain competitive in the marketplace, and are financially successful.  I do not like cleaning up after other techs either and if you all feel your sh*t doesn't ever stink and you want to do something about it I suggest you... well, no need to give away good techniques that work.
Need some unscheduled time off? Just say no
This is CABL.com posting #264773. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbg2H
Posted in reply to: Re: grounding by scooterz56
There are 0 replies to this message