Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: JOHNSON CABLING add for help BEWARE

Defamation isn't a business issue, it's a legal one. Web sites owners (i.e., me) are generally protected by law but the person posting is not. 

Everyone needs to understand the law and how easily they can get themselves in trouble. A plaintiff will have four things to prove to successfully sue for defamation: 

1. They must show that the person communicated a defamatory statement. If someone says "Company X won't pay you" and Company X can provide one example of someone they did pay, that claim is satisfied.
  2. They must show that the statement was published or communicated to at least one other person. This is where I get subpoenaed for an affidavit. Trust me, I'm not going to jail for you.
  3. They must show that the communication was about them and other parties receiving the communication could identify them as the subject of the defamatory message. It's a small industry. Proving Company X was meant by saying "Company X" is virtually a slam dunk.
  4. They must show that the communication injured their reputation. Here they might show someone who decided not to work for them, they lost a contract, or whatever.
If someone posts what they can prove like "they didn't pay me" then (if they're telling the truth) accusation of defamation never gets past #1. If they're lying, they deserve what they get.
This is CABL.com posting #264285. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbgUP
Posted in reply to: Re: JOHNSON CABLING add for help BEWARE by salesdawg
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: JOHNSON CABLING add for help BEWARE Crayne 8/7/2009 12:39:03 PM