Create your free account now! Sign up

How to hang a really long arieal drop!

To hang rg_11 drops at lengths of 300' plus, you do not need any type of bait and tackle or grips. To begin... you will need to verify that the customer you are dealing with is (1) serviceable at the given distance, (2) how are your forward and return levels at the tap compared to what kind of services they currently have and what you are there to install. Basically, if they are only to have basic and expanded services then lower signal may be ok for getting them up and going (at least until you can get a line problem put in and maintenance can get out there to adjust, balance, or repair the plant), If they are going to have HSD or Voip it may be a better idea to have maintenance out before you. It may need a tx-15 drop or something similar (3) is it possible to run an underground drop from the pole to the home? If there are no roadways, sidewalks or driveways in between the pole and the house you may consider an underground drop from the pole....Anyways, Back to the point. What you will need is a ladder, (at the very least)some cutters to separate the strand from the coax and to cut the access off with, a good span clamp and j  hook set on the strand and the bump pole (Never attach this type of drop to a house " It will not hold"). Starting at the strand , lash or attach your drop hanger(which ever your M.S.O. requires) do everything there that you need to do at that time( tags, connect to tap, service loops ...whatever) Next,.... Go to the bump pole that your drop will attach to and place your ladder, If you are at the bump pole and look at the tap from behind the bump pole....thats where you wanna set your ladder. try to set it up so that the top rung of your ladder is about 1.5 foot below your j hook, make sure you have your safety harness and climb your ladder with the drop in your hand until you reach a comfortable height ( I generally like to go up until the j hook is about level with the top of my belly, (thats the best level for me to get the extra umph to pull the drop).... So strap off well and make sure you have a bit of room to stand at an upright standing position almost leaning back a bit. Pull up to the point that its getting hard to pull and judge the distance you should separate your messenger..... From this point separate your messenger from the coax..... Pull the drop as hard as you can and up as tight as you can get and wrap the messenger around the j hook "1" time.... you can let your grip out and get another grip at this time... re-adjust your stance on the ladder at this time..... your body should feel what you need to do to get some pulling power up there...... So you got your next grip with one hand and unwrap the messenger from the j hook a half a turn ...pull the drop as hard as you can keeping it along the j hook and as it comes up tighter and higher simply wrap the messenger again to hold it...repeat this until the drop at the height you want..... I find its easier for me to pull the drop with one hand while pulling the messenger over the j hook at the same time so that I can quickly wrap it back once I get it pulled up.... I have pulled up 375' drops like this a few time. Also you can runn your messenger over the j hook and to the bumper of your truck and gently pull it up. Beware this can be dangerous and is not really a good idea, But it has worked for some of us before......hope this helps someone... god help us all if it really does . LOL.
This is CABL.com posting #261193. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbf6X
Posted in reply to: RG11 300ft plus aerial pull tool by cable125
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: How to hang a really long arieal drop! islandcable 7/15/2009 6:36:42 AM
Re: How to hang a really long arieal drop! hookman 81 7/14/2009 10:52:46 PM
Re: How to hang a really long arieal drop! Rex Jones 7/14/2009 10:15:48 PM