Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: New guy

Not to discourage your learning a new profession...

IMHO: You would be better off taking a job at Wally World or Costco/Sam's doing stocking until housing kicks back in.

Trim carpenters are a profession many installers are in need of for custom satellite and home theatre installs...and that can be PRIMO money...

One example recently involved a house my customer was doing some re-modeling on when she mentioned creating a faux fireplace in her Master bedroom. I happened to overhear her talking of this with the contractor and talked her into letting me work with him and put her sat box, DVD, and VCR -- INTO -- the mantle under her wall-mounted 50" tv, hiding it all. We also created DVD storage in the upright legs supporting the mantle, and surrounding an electric firebox. The downside was the 'contractor' was lost...he spent two weeks doing (read that BUTCHERING entirely with MDF!) that job and I and her handyman spent the next three weeks making it presentable and useable.

Point being: pay attention if you decide to fight the co-ax battle as you may be able later to parley both disciplines into a lucrative custom install business...but that also depends on your assessment of where you are in trim work. You can always learn the wiring basics from someone in the biz as you go (so you understand what is needed). Regardless, I understand we all need to pay the bills...I'm just offering another thought to consider.

L-8-R-B
This is CABL.com posting #259157. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbfz7
Posted in reply to: Re: New guy by chris1025
There are 0 replies to this message