Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Sub or Employee.....here we go again

In my 14 years in this industry, I have done both, construction and installs. My opinion is that back in the day when everyone in the nation was doing some kind of major upgrade or rebuild, and you could go anywhere and pick what aspect of the industry you wanted to do (hanging, splicing, installs, power supplies, etc.) a guy could make a hell of a living and take care of their family. You could afford to work 3 or 4 months and take a week or two vacation with the family, and I have 4 kids and a wife. Ahhh... The good old days.    

Well back to reality, in this day age you cant go anywhere in the nation and make that kind of money anymore, and if you're lucky enough to find a large upgrade project or storm work, there are so many contractors there that you only get a small piece of the pie. You cant make any money like that. With the cost of insurance, fuel, food, lodging, (your guys needing a "loan"), and everything else there will be no vacations or steak dinners only chicken for you... My oppinion is now it would be smarter to be an inhouse employee, you have more stability for your family. But to those who brave it out and are still in the trenches shooting it out with the man best of luck to you brothers and sisters....
This is CABL.com posting #258457. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbfoP
Posted in reply to: Sub or Employee.....here we go again by deleted
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Sub or Employee.....here we go again hookman 81 6/24/2009 3:45:44 PM