Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Getting a contract with the service provider

Insurance is cheaper than you think.  When I was a contractor, the liability was not that much as I recall; may be 1K for a year but you have to pay it all one time.  WC on the other hand can be paid monthly.

Getting a job as a prime: 

Go down to the local courthouse and get an Assumed Name.  Cost probably $20 or less.  You are now a sole proprietor. 

Then just call the head in house techs at the local cable companies and expand outward geographically as you need to get work.  Point out your experience and the fact you will work after hours and weekends when the in house people don't like to work and that you are available on call for any peak times.  Tell them between jobs, since you are already in the field, you can convert/disconnect illegals and/or sell services to non subs and do instant installs.  Offer free site audits in exchange for install jobs in what ever areas you work.

Cable companies have their own contracts and set prices so you don't have to create any of those.  Service providers hire locals all the time since they are cheaper than going with nationwide outfits.  As far as contacting Cable Companies, you can get unpublished phone numbers and local manager names by going to Warren Publishing and clicking to the Cable TV Factbook.  You can try the Cable TV Factbook on line free for up to a week.  Just copy down all the numbers and other info you need to compile a solicitation list. 

As far as cash flow, if you cannot last up to 60 days without getting your first check, use a factor company.  Several advertise on this site or just go to the yellow pages on line and type in "Factor Companies".

That should be all you need to get started soliciting for business.  My experience would predict most of any opportunities you find will be with rural systems; unattractive areas nobody wants to work.  You may have to travel.  But who knows?  You might get lucky and score close to home.
This is CABL.com posting #255420. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbeBQ
Posted in reply to: Getting a contract with the service provider by cabledog812
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Getting a contract with the service provider SkyView99 6/1/2009 4:20:09 PM