Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: gettin burned out on cable....is satelite bett

I don't care who my supervisor is or what the boss tells me I will never put a pole in for free or wallfish for free.  If the customer wont pay for a wall fish, Guess what its going on the outside of the house.  As far as a supervisor telling me I have to put a pole in the ground for free, I will tell him he better get out there and do it himself.

As far as pay is concerned I work for one pay.  It is hard to find, but you can still get decent reates.  If they reduce my rates I will go somewhere else or cut my contract off.

There is great need for good techs.  The only way to get ahead of the game is do good work and find someone willing to pay you what you are worth.  I refuse to work for peanuts, nor will I allow people who end up working for me for peanuts.

Now I don't do too many TV installs because it has gone downhill we require this and that.  I prefer going and being able to throw up a dish run my 2 lines and forget the phone.  Configuring a modem isnt hard, but can take a little time if your not used to it.

TV satellite work to me is dead.  I will do them, but I try to stay away from them.  You can make money with them.  Again like someone posted you can run 50 miles and cancel the job and guess what.  You get paid nothing.  The same would be true for cable too i would think.  Especially on the contractor side.

There are a few places you can get a vsat certification.  Most of them are specialized for a particular brand of service.

HughesNet,
iDirect,
WildBlue

I only have the HughesNet cert. This teaches me enough to be dangerous on the others.  I do deal with like 9 different satellite ISPs.  I didn't even know there were that many out there myself.  I'm sure theres even more than that.

The disadvantage to commercial is all the non pen mounts with all the cinderblocks.  But again it pays about 4 times more too.

So I refuse to do free work, and If I cant make over 20 an hour adverage minimum on an install, meaning running into a ton of stupid issues, then to me its not worth it.

The next thing you need to ask is how good is your work? And be honist with yourself on it.  Alot of people have a hard time admiting someones doing a better job then they.  This industry is being filled with hacks.  Businesses are going to keep the best around, and if not there will be another company out there that will.  If everyone quits then all there will be are hacks, and we wont have to worry about making more than 8 an hour gross before expences.
This is CABL.com posting #255241. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbeyX
Posted in reply to: Re: gettin burned out on cable....is satelite bett by ronjrcosten
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: gettin burned out on cable....is satelite bett donmegatony1 5/25/2009 8:40:37 PM