Create your free account now! Sign up

mounst 42" plasma on metal stud wall???????

I was recently asked to site survey an office that wants to mount a 42" plasma on a sheet rocked metal studded wall. They want to hook the computer up to the tv. The customer wants 2 VGA wall plates. 1 down low by computer and 1 behind the tv. he also wants the power cord hooked up behind the tv, which he will have to put a new power outlet.
Now I haven't hung many tv's, but even the dumbest installer wouldn't mount a 42" to metal studs. I take that back, I know some that would.
What I plan on doing is getting 2 2x6's bolting them through studs to other side of wall and into 2 more 2x6's with all thread bolts. (horizontally) mount the mounting bracket to the 2x6's with as many 2" 7/16 lag bolts as I can. and then mount the tv mount. The VGA cord would be fished from the wall plate behind the tv to the lower VGA wall plate under an attached to wall table. I put a bid in for the job @ $450-$500. depending on the hours it takes to install. $45/hr (min 4 hrs), $180 to mount the tv, $80 to fish VGA cable, and the materials needed to build the 2x6 mount.
Is that reasonable????
Geek Squad charges $199.99 to install just the tv and connect to a component. No wall fish, no make shift mounts, and the customers purchase all extra materials needed. I figure about $50 in extra Materials.
By the way a celing mount is out of the question. The roof is about 6' above the drop ceiling and the only beam is a c channel beam that is holding the roof on. The I beam is about 3' off set from the wall.
Any feed back is appreciated.
This is CABL.com posting #254204. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbeie
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: mounst 42" plasma on metal stud wall????? johngault 5/14/2009 12:04:31 AM