Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Question for Sat-Installers

Cableho,

I think your hitting the nail on the head with your response.  Your correct that in the end it's the sub who ends up paying for it all.  In there lies the "Customer Service" problem which will be the death nail for satallite (at least here in Vegas anyway).  Sat-Installers for all these years have short changed the customer by short-cutting their installs.  Using diplexers to avoid running that a/o was enough for them. 

"The gear worked didn't it??  So what if I don't tell the customer the potential problems?  Make it last 10-days and I'm in the clear."

Well the game is over for sat-installers short cutting in this valley now.

I'm sure, as a cable company, we'll end up running all those lines that the sat-installer didn't want to.  Probibly won't even charge the customer.  In the current economy, it's all about "Customer Retention & Satisfaction".  But you can bet your ass we'll educate the public on how they were cheated by their satallite installer/company.  Let's see who they sign up for video service when that satallite contract runs out and you want the sub to renew.  Job security for me most definatly.

As for you satallite installers, take a step back and look at the big picture.  Cable technology is now pushing 1Ghz and we're using that spectrum getting ready for Docsys 3.0, expanded HD video, more On-Demand content, and future cell phone backhaul.  How much of what we're doing is going to overlap on the same freqs those IRDs use?  I hope you take the time to do your installs correctly now, because cable WILL USE every factual truth to throw you under the bus with the end customers.  Granted, there are a lot of Sat-Installers doing it right out there.  For you ... please take a close look at your co-workers and do us all a favor ... Jump up and down on their heads to get them to do the job correctly the first time.  If they continue to short-cut and short change the customer, let your manager or company owner know about it.  You'll be saving your own job and industry....and again ... Thank you for doing the job right.

In Las Vegas ... you now have 200 trouble-call running cable techs hitting 1300 addresses this week to run lines where diplexers were installed by sat-guys.  That's 1300 subs you lose this week.  How many more will be lost next week due to shady sat-installs?  I really don't care personally.

If anything ...... Thank you for the over-time pay and job security.  Time-and-a-half will look nice in my paycheck next week.

BTW .... If we got anyone that can solve the technical issue with the frequencies and explain that would be appreciated.  Just one more nugget of knowledge to have in the back of my head for future bump-ins with sat. equipment and how it all works.

Good Luck to us all,

RadioMan 
This is CABL.com posting #253152. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbd1g
Posted in reply to: Re: Question for Sat-Installers by cableho
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Question for Sat-Installers cableho 5/4/2009 10:59:32 PM