Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Linemen vs Installer??

I tried being a lineman back in 1983. Worked for a summer and couldn't cut it. That's right, I couldn't cut it. I went on to a sales career in home improvements, running award winning operations and retiring as an executive in 2004 but, I never lost my taste for the cable industry.

I drove a truck for a year, wanted to see the country but was too cheap to pay for the travel.

In 2005, a friend told me about MASTEC. I applied and was accepted green. I survived that for a year, learning how to do it right and also how poorly their business was run.

Since, I've been contracting. I've been a sub of a sub of a sub, which never works out, a sub of a sub, which has been a 50/50 shot, and a sub directly to retailers here in the CSRA of GA/SC which has never been anything less than heaven.

I've gained MSCE status, Dell cert, COMPTia+ as well as several other IT certifications which have enabled me to offer my services to the highest bidder. I've cultivated relationships with local electronics stores which provide me Home Theatre Installations as well. For those select few, I am the prime. I sub no work out.

My point? Linemen are to be respected as the pioneers and heavy-duty backbone of the cable/satellite industry. They've paid dues, built plant, corrected stupid mgmt, and kept the industry alive. There are no shortcuts for a lineman, it's do it right or it don't work. All CATV and Satellite installers owe a debt to these fine ladies and gentlemen for if they hadn't delivered the goods "back in the day", the industry would never have grown to DBS.

Installers are another breed. We have technicians like myself who still hold to the adage of doing it right or don't do it at all. Unfortunately, we are those who are ripped off by unscrupulous assholes who care not for anyone but themselves. Every installer thinks they can go into business for themselves, only to find themselves overwhelmed by the details inherent in operating a business. Here's a tip: if you can't afford to pay your "techs" without depending on your provider to pay you first, you can't afford to be in business.

Then there are hacks. They don't give a damn about the work, have no pride in workmanship or a job well done, and adhere to the "throw enough shit against the wall something must stick" theology. They are worth exactly what they net, driving down opportunity and earnings for those of us who truly care to do our work well and educate our end users.

The animosity is caused by linemen's disgust with the work ethic and performance of far too many "installers". Linemen care, it's that simple. When I read a post or thread bashing "installers" I just consider myself excluded and the bashing justified. This site provides a valuable resource for venting those frustrations as well as a "clearing house" where ripoff subs are exposed.

Sorry for the essay,
Peace and prosperity to all,
Rick
This is CABL.com posting #249564. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbc5o
Posted in reply to: Linemen vs Installer?? by rookiecableguy
There are 7 replies to this message
Re: Linemen vs Installer?? linegramps 4/10/2009 12:33:46 PM
Re: Linemen vs Installer?? oldlinedawg 4/7/2009 5:55:09 PM
Re: Linemen vs Installer?? rookiecableguy 4/7/2009 1:15:38 PM
Re: Linemen vs Installer?? dshdwg 4/7/2009 12:46:18 PM
Re: Linemen vs Installer?? johnmc3 4/7/2009 10:43:33 AM
Re: Linemen vs Installer?? linedog 0001 4/7/2009 7:07:33 AM