Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Everyone needs to stop working for low rates

Bottom line is there are too many primes out there that are not going to cut off their flow of income. With the exception of cable and satellite, I just don't know any other biz where a person (contractor) provides a late model cargo van, thousands of $$$ worth of diagnostic equipment, thousands of $$$ in tools (both hand and power), low voltage certification, NCTI certs, general liability insurance for 2 million, gasoline, phone, laptop, uniforms, safety equipment, vehicle insurance, has to take a drug and background check, have somebody else set their time frames, have to place signage on their own vehicle that advertises for somebody else, have somebody else set the time frame for payment due us for services rendered, are denied remedy for claims of faulty work (they simply back charge us) the list goes on ad nauseam, then subs themselves out as a supposed contractor for 50% or less of what some person who hands out work orders in the parking lot of the MSO (in most cases) gets paid ??????  It's all BS.

Right now I'm struggling while rebuilding my own data/telecom, cabling, etc business. I'm working a couple of days a week on a regular basis, and I get 100% of what the client pays out. I set my price, I set my time line for getting paid, and I get paid. I'm great with customers and have always been willing to go the extra mile, but with the MSO's I've worked for that means absolutely nothing. But with my customers it means I get references and calls for other work which they gladly pay for.

I may have to sub for a while during the period where I work up the biz (I pray not) but hey, I just can't see why I provide all the goods to get the job done except the MSO equipment and supplies(which the cable co. provides not the prime) to be handed half or less.

IMHO a work stoppage will simply result in somebody taking your place. Think they are gonna stop at hiring illegals ???? nope, they'll even get them work visas claiming that they have specialized skills as broadband and telecomm technicians, and since Obama wants to build the info super highway up even more, guess what.....they'll get it.
This is CABL.com posting #249036. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbcWS
Posted in reply to: Re: Everyone needs to stop working for low rates by hero2zero
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Everyone needs to stop working for low rates 2brikshyvtwin 4/3/2009 1:11:44 AM
Re: Everyone needs to stop working for low rates Polehiker 4/2/2009 5:36:34 PM