Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: DSI fulfilment.

Paul, I quit MASTEC because I like to do quality work. I am not fast enough to do 6 installs a day up to spec. The office I worked in was run by rank amateurs who couldn't motivate a person to do something without threat. I spent 8 hours with the local manager and the regional manager explaining in detail what was wrong, why it was wrong, and how I would fix it. I have 20 years previous exp in another industry hiring, training, and motivating others. MASTEC's response? "There's the door." Since, the entire office has turned over, spot teams have been brought in several times, and nothing has changed.

As a contractor, I limit myself to the amount of jobs I can do TO SPEC every day. No more than 3 installs. By doing this, I get so much more satisfaction with my customers, because I have the time to actually explain the product, let them play with it, and answer questions, not run to my next job. I also don't worry about service calls, because I took the time necessary to do it right. I've made quite a good business by installing HDTV, OTA, computer networks, with my previous customers. You cannot do that with MASTEC because you have to screw the customer.

Fulfillment companies tried to stick too much work into too short time and that's how they generate chargebacks. I won't allow myself to have that happen.

I've since gained many certifications in the IT industry. I encourage every cable dog/sat installer to diversify, learn, and become invaluable. People now bid on my services every single day, I go out to the highest bidder. Sometimes it's satellite, sometimes it's kiosk maintenance, sometimes it's installing cash registers and servers. Heck, sometimes it's going to a site and taking pictures! If no one wants to pay a good rate, I stay home.

I try to post positive comments on this board. I realize my previous post doesn't comply. Thanks for letting me rant.

Sorry for the essay,
Peace,
Rick
This is CABL.com posting #244225. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbbHh
Posted in reply to: Re: DSI fulfilment. by paulpetranto
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: DSI fulfilment. cabledog 2/23/2009 5:33:36 PM
Re: DSI fulfilment. davisgo 2/23/2009 3:00:27 PM