Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: "Push 1 for English"

One problem is that the United States has no official language. The US is the only country in the world with no official language. Even though all our founding documents are written in English, English has never been adopted as the United States official language. I do feel that the government should correct this but I don't think anyone in DC would have the balls to put it to a vote.
Hell in Singapore to get any government job they have to speak, read and write English. In Japan all the top company's have their employees learn to read, write and speak English.
I remember the big push to get everything bilingual was because the Spanish speaking people were screaming that they were loosing there culture by not speaking Spanish. First I would like to say if your culture is that weak that it will be lost by moving to another country to work and not speaking your native tongue, then perhaps it's time for it to die and just be absorbed into the melting pot that is America. The Italians, Germans, Slovic, Chinese, Vietnamese, and countless others immigrated to this country and felt it was their responsibility to learn and speak English, at least in public and were proud to do so. They spoke or speak their native tongue at home and they are not loosing their culture. Why is it only the people that speak Spanish demanding everything be bilingual? Why is it that we as Americans have let this happen. Why is it that we as Americans don't demand that the United States officially adopt English (the language of the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers, the Constitution and all of the founding documents and writings of this country of ours) as the one and only Official Language? Until we do we will always have to Push 1 for English.
OK I'll get off my soapbox now.
If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #241591. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mba0N
Posted in reply to: "Push 1 for English" by Polehiker
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: "Push 1 for English" sab3r 2/1/2009 4:38:28 PM
Re: "Push 1 for English" sab3r 2/1/2009 4:36:33 PM
Re: "Push 1 for English" oldlinedawg 2/1/2009 12:40:57 PM