Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: CATV 20 years ago

I don't know about twenty years ago but, I started doing installs about fifteen years ago.  I remember I used to go right to the cable office and get my work, set tops and traps along with the inhouse techs.  Most of us got along.  Hell, we(contractors) were even offered flu shots at the same time as the inhouse guys and didn't even have to pay for it.  I turned in my work orders and money the next morning and went out again.  Most importantly, I made anywhere from 200-400 a day and was home by dark most of the time.  No BS hi-def receivers, no modems, no phones.  Just hook and book for the most part.  Although all of today's technologies are fun to watch and almost a necessity to most of us, doing the extra work and spending the time it takes to educate custmers, the pay rate SUCKS.  No one wants to pay anywhere close to what this stuff is worth.  And, the worst problem is that they know it.  From the MSO to the Contractor.  They don't want to spend any money.  I don't  really do installation work any more because of this reason.  So, if you are  a new guy, welcome to the industry and good luck.  Oh yah, if you are thinking about building headends or hubs instead of installation, there's not much money her either.
This is CABL.com posting #240511. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbaJn
Posted in reply to: CATV 20 years ago by themjj
There are 0 replies to this message