Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Batten down the hatches...alternative energy

First - you need to confirm that your roof is facing between south east - south - south west. Then, take a look at your monthly electric bill to determine the annualized daily/monthly electric usage in kilowatts. You can then roughly convert those kilowatt hours into an estimated cost of purchasing and installing a PV system WITHOUT battery storage. If you're annulaized usage is as an example - 23kw per day then the multiplier is $1,000 per KW or $23K for purchase and installation.

To answer your orginal question you need to calculate the foliage hindrance (Trees etc) to collect and convert at 95% effective rate. You may need anywhere between six and 12 panels depending upon manufacturer. Sharp makes an outstanding product.

Then, you have the Net Metering portion that will accompany your package. Built into the transfer switch and polling box you'll get a gate that will direct all over produced electricity back onto the commercial grid. This will show up as a credit on your bill. Together, you can generate up to 75% reduction on commercial dependancy. Now, if you do decide to utilize battery back-up then you'll eliminate your commercial dependancy and that may not be a good idea. If you go without using any commercial power in any 30 day period, you'll be charged a conveyance fee by your local utility. In some areas, this conveyance fee can be $49 per month. You mind as well use a little of their juice, get credited for the power that you sell them and reduce, not toally eliminate your dependancy on the power grid.

Now, if you want to heat up any room that has a wall facing east, south, or south west, I can turn you onto some solar thermal panels that will directly convert solar rays into heat and get blown right into your room with a PV powered (12VDC) fan. An 8' panel will raise the ambient room temperature by up to 60 degrees F. Subsequently, there are 6' and 4' panels that do the same but smaller sqare footage (4' = 250 sf - and 6' = 350sf areas.

The price is very affordable and in most cases has a pay back within one year depending upon your primary heating style i.e., oil, gas, or electric.

Then, there are solar drapes for your east, south, or west facing sliding doors or windows. These "Drapes" are translucent and will directly convert sun rays into heat at a level of up to 1,300-1,600 BTU's on the typical 7' x 7' sliding door.

Contact me with a private email and I can turn you onto other lower cost solar solutions. (cool)
Zoots Alures - Minds are like parachutes. They don't work if they ain't open {Fz}
This is CABL.com posting #228622. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m7DC
Posted in reply to: Re: Batten down the hatches...alternative energy by 1FARMER
There are 0 replies to this message