Create your free account now! Sign up

Want to be a good Splicer?

As far as, I know a very basic splicer skills required about 6 mos or so. You must know how to interpret the new and asbuilt print.
most of the asbuilt print were not updated and incorrect at plant.
You have to lern where RF and AC feeding from. What is the current draw on the Amp etc. What is your Today's assignment?
It is turn around or Retrofit or upgrades on the system? Also you need to learn about scope of work as well as aerial and UG Specs.
When you want to learn how to splice, just go to the end of the line and start with a Tap. In my opinion you can learn splice on the ground, before go up to the pole. It will be more affective and
see how you would be splicing on a single tap. Also go out with experienced splicer and give him a hand. As far as I remember, most of the experienced splicer don't bother to train on a new bie.
Because when something went wrong on the end of the day, the veteran splicer will be responsible to stay late and fixed the new bie's mistake. I will say learn how to prep a Tap, How to cut a 500/540 QR cable. How to scrape a center conductor without damaging it. I will say everything you can possible learn from the ground even before going up to the pole. A Good splicer required
many years in the field and being in many different system. When
a good splicer willing to take and train you, better stick with him.
Consistence for about 6 mos or so you will gain experience and
doing alot of better. A good splicer required experience, years of knowledge, craftmanship and a good attitude. A good splice was not born with it nor put two fitting together on the tap and become a splicer over night. You may not be able to making much money as real splicer in 6 mos. You must have right tools to do the right job. After 6 mos, when you pick up the speed, and making less mistake you should be making some decent money.
In the next few years , you will see in the fields with The good, the bad and slope hecker splicers. Nowadays most of the good splicers were disappearing. Due to the fact that, industry still want quality work and unwilling to pay quality wages. The quality work require good, decent amount of time needed to stay on the pole and do the job right. Since Industry and Contractors unwilling to pay decent wages to either lineman/Splicers. They start doing slope half past job. As the result, new slacker jump into the wagon and start hacking on the system. Anway this is what take to be a basic splicer. I am not intend to bashing anyone. Sorry for missed spelling and typo error. Good luck on with your splicing enthusiasm.
This is CABL.com posting #227907. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m7r5
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Want to be a good Splicer? sab3r 9/29/2008 7:35:00 PM
Re: Want to be a good Splicer? glenn 9/29/2008 10:44:00 AM