Create your free account now! Sign up

Current Galveston Storm damaged Status

Hello To All CATV Brothers

I drove from California to Galveston last Saturday. It took me 2
days to get there. Here is the real deal out there. Upon arrived to Galveston, Police will not let you in unless you are a Some kind of Contractor or Repair Crew. Air quality was bad and it smell like burning disel fuel. Weather is very hot and humid mostly. Sooner when I open my truck door, bunch of Flies, Insects and big mosquitoes coming into my truck. Even I closed the all door they keeps coming from air vant. They stin me like there will be no Tomorrow. Due to the lack of power, there were no opening stores on the Island. No Motels or Restaurants were available. Mostly, Power, AT&T System was damaged. The Cable System belong to Comcast. They using SA gear Type2 Amps, LE and 9" Tap. Present time 2 set of aerial crew from RSC or RSI is working. Besides, Power lines Crew, there was no other Cable or Telephone Contractors on the Galveston Island. Also National guards is patroling on the Island 6:00 PM-6AM. Island itself closed to all residents and general public until further notice from Mayor. Fuel is still available some part of the Houston. The price of the fuel is nearly $ 4.00. Motel room is available on some part of the town. The rate is $ 80 per night to up even with broken door/windows. Seen FEMA people living on the Island along with National guards. However, there is lots of work for debris removal and which is only booming business in town. Therefore, CATV System was not damaged on the Island. Meantime, I have make contacted with some Contractors. none of them were returned my calls. I was out of money and no place to stay, except slep on my truck for 5 days. Taken a shower at truck stop cost me $ 8.00.
I have brought with me some can foods, water and it will least for 10 days. I was seen on the news that Storm IKE was tored aparts many ****s on TX and LA State. I was hoping to find CATV and Telephone Restoration work . But I did not see any Contractors or Crew were on the road or in the Town. However Powerlines crew were keeps coming into Houston from other states. Since nothing much out here I decided to heading back to home. The around trip cost me little over $ 1300. mainly fuel and
meals. I am not bitching of cost and misfortune, but would like to inform rest of the Brothers. Actually what is really out there and
what you will be facing. As we all know you can't make a right decision unless you got right information. On the other hand, when you don't venture you gain nothing. Anyway, think wisely and take care of each other until next hurricane. May Coring tools and Phone bugset be with you!!
This is CABL.com posting #227522. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m7lS
Posted in reply to: 1st timer goin to TX by rookiecableguy
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Current Galveston Storm damaged Status hookman 81 9/24/2008 8:29:00 PM
Re: Current Galveston Storm damaged Status lifters 9/24/2008 10:18:00 AM
Re: Current Galveston Storm damaged Status vegassatellite 9/24/2008 3:01:00 AM