Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Galveston , September 8th 1900

It was on September 8th 1900 that Galveston was hit by a Category 4 hurricane . Over 8000 deaths were attributed to the storm and over 30million in property damage . I can only imagine how much the population in that area has grown in since 1900 . How much would that 30million be at todays prices . In remembering the terrorist attack on Sept.11 , I also realize the seriousness of a Category 4 making landfall . My heart goes out to anyone in this hurricane called Ike's path , whether it be Galveston or where ever , as its swath reaches from Brownsville to western Louisiana. Its currently a Cat 2 with winds of 100 , but the millibars at 945 tell a different story . Andrew was 922 , You do the math . All Duck can say , is they said the same thing about Andrew , but when he crossed the Gulf Stream it was too late , Ike is in the Gulf and conditions are currently all systems go . I just hope the people on the Coast have enough sense not to try to ride the storm out. Sept. seems to be a bad month for tragedy to strike the USA(usa) . It was 108 years ago this month. Whats going to happen this time???? I guess it in Mother Natures hands now. Duck just hopes shes kinder to us than she has been every where else this year.............. (usa).."WHITFIELD"..(sunny)
This is CABL.com posting #226715. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m68R
Posted in reply to: Galvaston by MikeEd
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Galveston , September 8th 1900 bassmassster 9/11/2008 11:44:00 AM