Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: GPS Nav.

Mine: Garmin CS60 handheld. Great for geocaching and field work. The color screen is awesome.

Garmins are the best, no doubt, but there are drawbacks. The navigation software is bought and licensed seperately and it needs to be updated every 2-3 years minimum. My CS60 cost $325, but the city map software cost another $110, and it is keyed to the serial number of the GPS so it can't be shared. Until last year you could register 2 units owned by the same person with the same software, but that has stopped. Mine even does glide-paths for jumping out of planes (or bombing, i guess). It also has a calibrated altimeter, elevation tracker and compass. The Garmin is the Caddilac of GPS.

Magellan uses open source software that can be shared, but is less user friendly. Many can't do maritime or aviation, which most Garmin can. The batteries last longer on Magellan, but that's partially due to the constant re-calculation the Garmin does compared to Magellan. My Garmin is good to w/in 3 feet of most targets, the Magellan is good to 10-12. Ask any geocache fan: the Garmin is the way to go for hand-helds.
This is CABL.com posting #224189. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m6t7
Posted in reply to: GPS Nav. by CCI/58
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: GPS Nav. royarlenmcclung 8/7/2008 11:52:00 AM