Create your free account now! Sign up

I'm out for good this time

Can anybody name another industry where someone else dictates what an independent contractor will be paid for work performed?

After 20 years as an in-house employee, from installs to corporate engineering. I left this industry, moved to a beach resort and went to work for the state. I quit that job; purchased all the tools, test equipment, and insurance for the dream of being self-employed. Two years later, I find myself hooking poles in the mountains (think of your worst easement job X 10) for pennies a foot. In the underground nodes, 20% of the cable is bad. But since the MSO is on a tight budget, just do the TDR shots for free. And you get to spend a whole 5 nights a month in your own bed.

In an industry that is in a fight for it’s survival, I can’t see the logic in using cutthroat inexperienced hacks. But I’m sure the wise men have it all figured out.

Next time I go to the car wash. I’ll buy the $5.00 wash and tell them, well polishing the rims and armorial the tires should be included. I’m on a tight budget so just throw in a Teflon wax job. Oh and your already hear so just detail the inside also; it will only take you a few minutes. It won’t fly with them, so why should it with me?

I’m going back to the beach to my state job, and doing home theater, and wireless networks on the side.

Good luck to everybody, I’m out for good this time.
This is CABL.com posting #218323. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m4Xv
Posted in reply to: It's all over. by bushmaster
There are 3 replies to this message
Moving on kount 5/22/2008 1:26:00 AM
Re: I'm out for good this time DiamondCutter 5/19/2008 1:57:00 PM
Re: I'm out for good this time Nate30 5/17/2008 11:58:00 PM