Create your free account now! Sign up

3 CHEERS for Oklahoma

I've read several rants on here about illegals (Cubans specificaly) just out of curiosity. We used to have a serious illegal problem here, due mainly to our close proximity to Texas. Fortunately, our friends in that big white building with our flags on top, especially the red, white and blue one, decided that enough was enough. I have lived all over the country, but I was born and raised here. Oklahoma has been slowly invaded from the South over the past 20 years to the point where all you see anymore are Mexicans. NO, I AM NOT RACIST. I said Mexicans, not Mexican Americans. I have no problem with someone entering my country legaly and taking the necasary steps to become a proud citizen. My ancestors did the same many, many years ago. The schools are jam packed with kids that couldn't tell you a thing about our founding fathers, but they can certainly tell you (in Spanish) how much you can cash in a food stamp for. I finaly had enough the day that I noticed 3 of the channels I pay for on my cable are Spanish speaking channels. Why the hell should I have to pay for channels that I don't understand when I live in the geographical heart of this country? I feel for you guys, I sincerely do. And on that note, I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO CONTACT YOUR STATE LAWMAKERS AND ASK THEM WHY THEY CAN'T PASS A LAW LIKE OURS??? So far, this is the only state to take a definitive stand on illegal immigration. I'm not trying to brag, I'm simply urging others that are fed up to try to get the same thing done in your state. If we remain the only state with this law, it is only a matter of time before it is over ruled by the Federal government. If more states get on board, it may stand a chance to better our country's fight against the massive influx of illegals. I have pasted an arcticle about a few of the finer points of the law that has been passed. Floridians, take a stand! Good luck to you in your fight for what is YOUR'S!!! You have a friend in Oklahoma...................................................

By Ismael Estrada and Keith Oppenheim
CNN

TULSA, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Weeks of protests, rallies, lawsuits and candlelight vigils failed to stop a new state immigration bill -- HB 1804 -- from becoming the law in Oklahoma.

Vigils like this one in Tulsa, Oklahoma, last week were unable to stop a tough new immigration law.

1 of 2 The law went into effect Thursday and is intended to make life difficult for illegal immigrants in Oklahoma.

Its authors say they're sending a very clear message: If you're an illegal immigrant, you are not welcome.

"I'm convinced illegal aliens will not come to Oklahoma, or any other state, if there are no jobs waiting for them." said state Rep. Randy Terrill, a Republican and the law's author.

"They will not stay here if there are not taxpayer subsidies and they certainly won't stay here if they ever encounter one of our fine state and local law enforcement officials," he added. "They'll be physically detained -- until they're deported."

The new law restricts the ability of illegal immigrants to obtain government IDs or public assistance. It also gives police authority to check the immigration status of anyone arrested, which can lead to deportations.

It doesn't stop at illegal immigrants. The law also makes it a felony for U.S. citizens to knowingly provide shelter, transportation or employment to illegal immigrants.

The message has been received loud and clear. Many in Oklahoma's Latino community say people are staying home, fearful police will arrest and deport them.

"They're afraid they're going to get deported. They're just afraid," said Alex Yoguez, a juice store owner who relies on Latino customers for her business to survive.

Yoguez said her business is normally filled with customers. "We are down 50 percent just today," she said Thursday, the day the law went on the books.

Latino supporters are up in arms about the way the state now views illegal immigrants who have been here for many years.

"You are guilty of ethnic cleansing in this community! You are going against my community!" said the Rev. Miguel Rivera of the National Coalition of Latino Clergy.

The clergy group filed a federal lawsuit against the state saying the state has overstepped its bounds by enforcing immigration law, which is under federal jurisdiction. A hearing in the case is scheduled next week. An earlier attempt to get an injunction to prevent enforcement of the law was turned down by a judge.

It's not yet clear how the law will be enforced. Illegal immigrants in Oklahoma fear police will use the law for roundups of anyone working and living in the state illegally.

"I don't know if we're going to be actively looking for them," said Tulsa Police Capt. Steve Odom, who works in the Latino district of Tulsa. "If we come across them in the course of a call, or a course of an investigation, certainly we'll take the appropriate action."

The Tulsa Police Department said it has not received guidance from the district attorney's office on how to enforce the law. The department points out that suspicion of illegal activity is not enough, and proving the intent of U.S. citizens is a challenge.

Still, many in Oklahoma say Latinos have been leaving by the thousands since the law was passed in May.

"We are losing a lot of business, a lot of business," said Antonio Perez, who owns Mexican grocery stores. "I would say between the four stores we have lost about $300,000 a month in sales."

So far, the absence of the Latinos on the streets may be the only visible result of the law.
This is CABL.com posting #212131. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m3lD
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: 3 CHEERS for Oklahoma MCSub 2/27/2008 4:12:00 PM