Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Backyard... late at night... what to do?

Are you serious? An outage at 2am is not a "Code Red" in the cable world. You're an in-house technician and it's your responsibility to maintain your plant, and if you're on call getting $40.00/hr to work at night, then friggin' do the job you're getting paid to do.

And I'm sick of this, "I've been in cable 24 years" crap. If you've been in it that long, and you don't like where it's going, find a new job. But quit bitching about it, because all you're doing is reinforcing a negative work ethic in young guys heads.

Same with the old school contractors...."Oh, I'm not doing this for such-and-such reason." "I shouldn't have to do that because we've never had to do it before." Or "Back in the day..." yada-yada. Yes, we all know things were better back in the day. Not only in cable either, life in general was better. Lawyers and accountants have worked hard to make life today miserable. Suck it up or find a new job. If you have a 9-5 doing something else you don't like are you going to bitch about it to?

You all have to realize something, there's a thing called reverse now. And it carries HSD and Telephone service. Anytime plant is down, someone may be trying to call 911 and cant, and now you're responsible for that person dying or having their home broken into, raped or worse. And it could've been because you didn't want to get out of your truck when it was cold out.

You know what the Bar has become? Exactly that without the drinks. The only thing everyone comes here to do anymore is bitch, whine, moan and complain. No one shares information on here anymore, and everyone has this, "I'm only in it for me" attitude. Well, your attitudes stink, and it's part of the reason the industry is sinking the way it is. It's not the only reason, I'll give you that.

Let me say one more thing to both:

In-house: Maintain your own plant the right way and stop blaming everything on contractors. I've helped build new systems, get everything swept and balanced right, and come back a month later to find it running like crap because in-house techs prefer to jury-rig something instead of doing it the right way.

Contractors: If you don't like getting paid what you're getting paid, or whatever new things the P.O.S. MSO comes up with, move on. Because guess what, you're contractors. You're not tied to just working for Comcast/Time Warner/Other. Find a new place to put your install/underground/other skills to good use.

I'm done.
It was then that Caroline remembered her kitchen back in Montana, with a stove that she might or might not have turned off, and so with a heavy sigh, she put down the penguin.
This is CABL.com posting #208776. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m2tw
Posted in reply to: Re: Backyard... late at night... what to do? by elitor8
There are 5 replies to this message
Re: Backyard... late at night... what to do? IslandCableDog 1/20/2008 9:30:00 PM
Re: Backyard... late at night... what to do? elitor8 1/20/2008 9:23:00 PM
Re: Backyard... late at night... what to do? southern 1/20/2008 8:01:00 PM
Re: Backyard... late at night... what to do? bluedeogee 1/20/2008 7:26:00 PM
Re: Backyard... late at night... what to do? lazarust326 1/20/2008 7:01:00 PM