Create your free account now! Sign up

Iraq corruption whistleblowers face penalties

We must support the honorable people that bring waste to our attention.
I have attached a MSN article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20430153) .
Congress needs to take several actions:
1) Anybody taking action again a Whistleblower is accountable for their actions in civil court by removing the “I was just doing my job” defense. The same language about retaliation used in EEO Law would be adequate.
2) The Military should have to pay "Pain and Suffering" civil damages just like the courts impose on doctors.
3) Revisit the qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act (FCA) and add jail time for taking action again Whistleblowers.

REF:
The purpose of the qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act (FCA) is to encourage private individuals who are aware of fraud being perpetrated against the government to bring such information forward.
Qui Tam lawsuits have been used throughout American and English history as a means to discover and to prosecute fraud against the national treasuries. Indeed, the Founding Fathers and the First Congress enacted a number of statutes authorizing qui tam actions. After undergoing a decline in popularity and need, qui tam, under the guise of the original FCA, enjoyed a renaissance during the Civil War era. This renaissance was precipitated by a desire to combat widespread corruption and fraud amongst defense contractors who supplied the Union Army.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20430153
Iraq corruption whistleblowers face penalties

Cases show fraud exposers have been vilified, fired, or detained for weeks. There were times, huddled on the floor in solitary confinement with that head-banging music blaring dawn to dusk and interrogators yelling the same questions over and over, that Vance began to wish he had just kept his mouth shut.
He had thought he was doing a good and noble thing when he started telling the FBI about the guns and the land mines and the rocket-launchers — all of them being sold for cash, no receipts necessary, he said. He told a federal agent the buyers were Iraqi insurgents, American soldiers, State Department workers, and Iraqi embassy and ministry employees.
This is CABL.com posting #197067. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mZqF
There are 0 replies to this message