Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: degrees?

when i say "this industry" i'm not talking strictly about catv. i actually believe that catv will have to make drastic changes or die. soon. my prediction years ago (which is now REALLY starting to come to fruition) was that the seperations that you now have, cable company, phone company, isp......will be no more in the next 5 years. it will be communications companies...........consolidations, and break ups and yada.......but that seems to me to be an opening for those that are ready. someone said the other day that change is the biggest source of stress, and that is true. it's also the biggest source of opportunities. maybe i'm just an optimist, but seems to me someone with the right skills and knowlege will be able to reap a fortune, or at least make a good living in the next few years. hell just look at verizon's fios launch, they tried to hire off the streets to fill a postion they apparently thought would be easy to fill, someone in the know tells me they are at about a 30% damage claim rate in the dfw market. can't even find installers and people to train them to do what should mostly be a hook and book. already hot at the demarc, just getting in where service already existed. blows me away. but i'm not talking about doing installs. i love school. i love communications networks. fascinates me. but i don't want to be an installer forever, or a lineman (not claiming to be one, so put the gun and the keyboard DOWN). at the same time i don't want to get a degree and sit in an office. there has to be somewhere in this industry where a degree can = money while STAYING IN THE FIELD. i'd rather be in an attic during a dallas summer for 2 hours than in an office entering numbers into a spreadsheet for more money.
This is CABL.com posting #189128. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mXmC
Posted in reply to: Re: degrees? by John.G
There are 0 replies to this message