Create your free account now! Sign up

Scottsdale system is nuts

I have just started doing cable in Scottsdale AZ. This is after a several year break from cable to do satellite. I got spoiled on satellite not having plant maintenance issues and my cable experience was in Vegas where PM seems to right on.

I am seeing some of the craziest levels I have seen coming out of the taps here in Scottsdale and surrounding area. I've met up with some PM guys and they have told me some of the taps in particular were low but cautioned against changing them to the correct level because the other homes on the tap might need service calls with the new levels. Ideally, the levels would be where they ought to be. Considering how many whacked taps are in Scottsdale, I can only conclude that the PM guys here are being told not to correct levels unless absolutely necessary because it might create service calls at the drop level.

There's just too many homes here where the signals are too low or the high frequencies are way sloped. They say you need a +3 to +8 to put in a drop amp, but I'm not seeing that at the demarcs. The levels are often negative at the demarc, even on test drops. I figure my productivity is lessened by the PM issues of this system and therefore my hourly average is dropping as a result.

I'm not knocking the PM guys but perhaps if there are any in the Scottsdale area that know what's up with the strange numbers, I would appreciate the feedback. Are drop installation contractors not notifying PMs, is someone holding PM back from fixing levels at tap? Is the problem further upstream?

I'd love to talk to some PM guys about this.
This is CABL.com posting #188267. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mW8J
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Scottsdale system is nuts DZW! 4/7/2007 6:20:00 PM
Re: Scottsdale system is nuts mdefrates 4/7/2007 3:32:00 AM