Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Test Probes

I know this is caveman cable but I simply use an ac blocking housing to f connector cut to length when needed. Subtract 4.5db for the forced split. I have one of the units your describing but its really the same thing imo,I'm sure some rf engineer will chime in and disagree. I find that 90% of the time if I'm hunting db its usually 10 or more and its simply quicker to do the math consult the prints and find the big loss without resorting to your method. Most times you can see the last active and if your up on your game you should be able to quickly guesstimate the spec output and be within a few db,we usually dont even know if something drops just 2 or 3 but you'll always know about a 10db drop. I do it daily but its something I work on, a system should be designed with a certain tap output level,mines 18db at 750mghz anything less may be an issue unless certain variables are involved (i.e. long drop) I usually frown real hard upon hot tapping though. Ask someone who should know what the tap output specs are and go from there. I once worked a system designed with a spec of 12db at 450 with long drops, well when they wanted 4 exos with a 250 rg 6 you were out of gas although the system may be working perfectly. That my friend can suck, believe me. I do not ever build out now without a 3pad in actives and less than 18db tap output that covers a 250rg 6 a 3-way splitter and 0 to most sets plus a dc in the hardline for future buildouts, anything more needed, house amp. More than that puts an active at nearly every other pole it seems,todays demands are getting crazy,this is a constant argument amongst engineers, I really didn't want to get into but I like to see guys work efficiently.JMO
This is CABL.com posting #187831. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mW1H
Posted in reply to: Test Probes by GROUNDBLOCK
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Test Probes nrb1 3/28/2007 11:55:00 PM