Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:mapping

>Whats going on Earlbob? haven't seen you up on the screen lately. How has the crawdad fishing been. You havent invited me down to the trailer for quit some time. Sure miss the moonshine and fishing. I guess with the new baby you don't have room for any guest. Tell your wife Maybell hi for me. Hope she is doing well.

>spank this spanky
>
>>>I remember Dennis Ender. He was in Wabasha with Jim Ireland. Last I knew Dennis was a donut tech. at a local donut shop in Wabasha.
>>
>>>Spanky
>>>
>>>Do you know Dennis Ender. He used to work for Leonard also.
>>>Last I heard about Fred, he was working in New Ulm, Mn for Time Warner. Dennis now is working For Menards in Apple Valley, MN
>>>
>>>>You sure took alot of roger leonards money. Hey do you know where fred keuhl is? Haven't seen him since the leonard days in denver. Talk to me Augie
>>>>>Your replies seem accurate for the most part. As-built mapping avg.'s $150 to $300 depending on terrain, amount of info being gathered and a few other variables. I have done walkout for quite some time now and prices are at an all time high. Although some area's you would expect to pay well don't pay crap! Your buddy that replied is correct, be very careful who you work with and for. This is a dog eat dog industry where only the strong and intelligent survive. I have no regrets for many years of mapping. It's been a great way to see the world (yes I have mapped over seas) and I have had some great years breaking the 6 digit mark but I have also had years that I made less than $50,000. In my opinion it's only what you make of it. People that are self motivated and agressive seem to do just fine but it's definately not for everyone. If your a people person and you like working outside with the elements your off to a good start. I hope I answered some questions for you and I wish you well.
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>how much does a mapper get paid a mile?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>well thats a pretty broad question. Im pretty new at this (6 mos) so any more exp. folks may jump in and correct me if Im wrong. Strand mapping (where the cable runs) seems to average about .02$/ft (just over a hundred a mile) although I have been offered a lot less, and more. When you get to asbuilt, Its wide open- I have heard reliable sources claim that in SFyou can make 300$/mile plus. However walk out can be a b*itch- your basicly overlaying a scematic of whats in the system onthe stand map. And while your working production, things out of your control can set you back. The project I am in right now the maps are terrible (Etak maps). No road name, missing subdivisions/ streets, etc. Now the prim was supposed to provide us with "accurate maps", but what are the chances that they are going to pay me for the time I have drafted roads for them? (none). When you are mapping as sub, you really need to know what questions to ask. I didnt when I started this, and although I have made a bit of money, It hasnt been enough o make it worth beeing away from home. So I am finishing my contract (They said X miles, I have mappeed X.3 miles, waiting for the QC guy to pass them) and I am leaving. Be carefull who you deal with to, I am foretunate in this regard but others havent been. The last thing you want is to find out that you have been screwed a 1000 miles from home.
>>>>>
This is CABL.com posting #18777. Tiny Link: cabl.co/me21
Posted in reply to: Re:mapping by earlbob
There are 0 replies to this message