Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Vista Anyone?

Vista's increased security over WinXP is causing MOST of the problems with installing "legacy" software, however, if a driver install should fail, Vista gives you the ability to install that driver in "compatibility" mode. I had a bit of a hassle when i first installed the Netgear USB NIC that currently has me on line. The initial attempt hosed and it kicked me over to "compatibility" mode automatically. I also deviated from the "install software first" warning plastered all over everything and just did a search for the drivers conventionally and it fired right up.

Just FYI, the reason so many people are hassling with installations under Vista is that 99.99999% of all software you buy now installs itself into the 'program files" folder, which in itself isn't a huge problem, but many programs also keep temp files and ini.files in that same folder either permanently or JIT. Vista's stronger security doesn't allow write operations to that folder......OOOPS! So Vista creates a virtualized path that allows for "legacy" apps to install and "fake" writes to the "program files" folder. The ONLY thing I haven't gotten to work in Vista is my HP2600N Color Laser. The drivers are still not available at all.
This is CABL.com posting #186512. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mWGq
Posted in reply to: Re: Vista Anyone? by East211
There are 0 replies to this message