Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: wild blue,dsi,info on pay ?

telephone lines have an inherent limitation for data transmitted over the voice side, which is what dial-up modems do. That limit is somewhere around 43 or 48k. This is why dial-up modem card technology never progressed past 56k. An ISDN line (two telephone lines) made it possible to get 112k, but the service never really took off in most markets. DSL makes it possible to go faster.

Satellite's problem has been latency. 46,000 mile round trips tend to cause a slight delay when compared to a shorter land-based trip to any server in the country. 600ms latency can kill a day-trader or a gamer.

Wildblue's FAP is what really bothers me. They will drop your speed until the end of the current billing cycle if you go over your transfer limits. That means if you download a few DVDs on the first day of your billing cycle, you can be down around 56k for the rest of the month. That might be why some of you are seeing these slow speeds out there. Some of those customers may have been FAPped. Yes, it's a verb now.

As a satellite installer, I'm honest with my customers about internet and that cablemodem has us beat any day of the weak. I don't sell or install WB or DWAY, though I'm certified for Dway 6000. Furthermore, when the DOCSIS 3.0 standard goes public, no satellite will be able to come close to the 40 meg service a cable company will be able to dish out. Cabledogs, eat your heart out, when that 3.0 hits, you're gonna be slammed with modem upgrades. Learn what you can about it. Multiple modem channels, not just one.
This is CABL.com posting #183441. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mVST
Posted in reply to: Re: wild blue,dsi,info on pay ? by SBCASweepTech
There are 0 replies to this message