Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: legality/respect for cones

Had the same type of drop situation yesterday... House was positioned on a curve which made seeing cars from the sub pole almost impossible.
Same deal, sub pole surrouned by scrub oaks, cant use the old drop to pull through because it's all tangled in branches thanks to the original install.
Here's what I did and always have done....
First, on a sub pole, I always do the sub pole FIRST... I make sure I have enough cable to reach the tap and work my J hook and loops on the sub pole... this makes it easier to deal with since most are usually rickety and have no guy wires.. This way there is no cable laying across the road for cars to run over and change the impedance of the cable due to flattening the diaelectric..
For the trees, I carry two 10' lengths of 1/2 PVC.. from my ladder I can feed the pipe through the branches and insure a nice straight run... I have lay up sticks at the office for really nasty stuff but the pipe is lighter and easier to deal with on a one man job..
Once all that is done I simply wait for a clear moment to get across the road... no biggie.. I think it's a lot safer to have my ladder on the strand at the tap to pull cable than to have my ladder on the sub pole with nothing but my V rung and have to deal with cutting and wrapping messenger....
I also do my midspans first... same deal.. just make sure enough cable to reach tap, cut and wrap messenger and make loops ON THE GROUND then climb up, put on a span clamp (makin sure not to fk up the lashing wire) hook the messenger in and climb down in just a few seconds... easy...
This is CABL.com posting #181265. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mVjN
Posted in reply to: Re: legality/respect for cones by johned
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: legality/respect for cones tommyboync 12/19/2006 9:56:00 PM