Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Teo Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line

The cable tech was driving a ground rod and pierced the gas line, no locates. He immediatly called Vectren when he smelled gas and realized what had happened. The vectren employee (and former local high school basketball coach) had 20 years experience. Speculation at this time is that the basement of the home filled up with natural gas. The Vectren employee had just arrived on site when the explosion occured. Sources are speculating that the Vectren emplyee may have caused a spark when attempting to turn off the gas at the residents meter. He was killed instantly by being thrown up against the nieghboring house by the force of the explosion. The house was LEVELED COMPLETELY and instanly. It was like a scene out of the movies. One neighboring house was destroyed, another was severly damaged in Huntingtons historic district. The Comcast tech is still in the burn unit at St. Joe hospital in Ft. Wayne, his name is still being withheld.
This info is first hand, my wife is from Huntington and knew the elderly couple that owned the home. We now live only 10 minutes from there. My Daughter still lives in Huntington only blocks away, I'm an old cable guy turned phone man, i know the risks. Guys (and Gals) DONT DRIVE GROUND RODS!!!!! AT ALL!!! EVER!!!! even if you have locates, your life and your customers lives arent worth it, would you orphan your children to get a job done?? Take the extra time and find a power ground. From a guy who thought he'd seen it all but hadn't. Be safe, Later, Red(usa)(snipper)
This is CABL.com posting #180424. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mU6e
Posted in reply to: Teo Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line by Dreamer
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Teo Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line primebusiness 12/6/2006 12:04:00 AM