Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Help me out...

Here's a thought, You want them to perform better & do something right yes?

<Yes, that is the ultimate goal. I want them to be productive and HAPPY with the work as well. I don't want a situation where a man feels like he's being picked apart either but by the same token, when I KNOW a guy is capable, I'm going to hold his feet to the fire to be accountable.>

Well non-paid training certainly doesn't help the issue. Most will say they are ready when they are not.

<We have a paid training program for at least ten days, they dont get the training pay until they show the effort to get the legals done and are qualified to take a route>

Telling a "Contractor" when they have to show up is unrealistic. Hire an employee if you want them to punch a clock.

<The contract the Prime has with the MSO stipulates the obligation to meet the time frames. Candidates coming to work as subs are told what is expected of them. The PRIME is ultimately responsible to meet the criteria regarding time frames. We do not demand that subs meet frames but suggest that it is in the best interest of all concerned that they respect them. I know from personal exp. that this is a VERY touchy subject but in the long run, it's a necessary evil.>

Maybe make the ones who aren't passing QC's ride with a supervisor, and let the supervisor lead by example & show them how it's supposed to be done.

<Even further, ones that are having a hard time with QC are taken into consideration on a case by case basis. New guys are taken aside and given more training if need be. Older techs with time under thier belt are given the benefit of a doubt and at least given a chance to reign it in. However, if they are reluctant to see that their actions are affecting the company as a whole, then more stringient measuses are taken. I hate like hell to even use the term "backcharge" but it seems that the wallet is the fastest way to the heart in some circumstances. Dismissal being the ultimate end.>

Stop lying to people in the ad about how much they will make per week. (New techs need lots of time to develop speed)

<Honesty is the BEST policy. This company will never post an ad under false pretenses of earning potential. We look for techs that have exp. and offer at least some paid training to those that dont. I will tell a guy in a heartbeat that he is wasting his time during training rather than send him in the field without a clue.<

Offer Cash incentives or supplies to top producers. Money motivates me, I'm sure it would them too. Besides with weekly bonuses to top producers you will likely get & keep better techs & have less turn over.

<Can't really do that but what we can do is take care of top guys with "cream of the crop" work from time to time. An apartment install with HSD and VoIP pays almost $70.00 for about a half an hour of time... go figure. Give a good tech a route with five or six of those in a day and I'd say you got a happy guy, but this is also the guy that will go out and hump a four pole RG-11 drop, oh yes, he'll bitch about it but it'll get done!>

& my favorite way to set em straight, MAKE THEM DO ONLY SERVICE CALLS!!! Let them see first hand why we don't want hacks.

<Well, this aint satellite work, can't leave 'em with service calls but what can be done is take away HSD and VoIP. You have to take into consideration that the MSO wants these jobs more than others done properly and if a tech wont take it seriously, then he's gonna get churn RF work only, replacing outlets and drops and so on...you reap what you sow. >

This is CABL.com posting #177705. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mUon
Posted in reply to: Re: Help me out... by boyceman
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Help me out... OPIES HERE 10/22/2006 10:56:00 PM