Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Craziest thing to happen while at an install?

Had a service call for a DTV system out in the country. The guy seemed a little high strung, he said he was getting some sort of interference on his system (said the picture would roll and get squiggly lines in it, nothing I had ever run into with DTV, with the TV itself maybe). I couldn't find any problems with the system or TV at all, so I nicely cancelled the WO, told the guy to call back if the problem showed up again and I went on to my next job.
About two weeks later I get another service call for the same place. I get there and this time the cx is really wired (blood shot eyes, red faced and sweaty, looked like he was hopped up on crank or something). He tells me the interference is back. He tells me that he knows about electronics and stuff and that he knows where the inteference is coming from. I'm playing along with him praying he doesn't wig out on me, cuz the dude is looking more wired with each passing minute. Anyway, so he starts asking me who I work for and I tell him, "Bruister & Associates", then the guys asks me if they are affiliated with the federal government, I reply, "nooo, they are the home service providers for Directv in this area." He say's, "well I know what the problem is with my system, I saw some guy in a white van yesterday stop at the end of my driveway (it was a very long driveway) and a guy wearing white coveralls got out and was doing something in the ditch and he jumped back in his van and drove off really fast when he saw that I'd seen him! I know he was a spy with the FBI. Are you and your company working with them too? If your a federal agent or working with them you have to tell me if I ask. I know that guy put something out there to spy on me and it is causing electrical interference with my Directv signal. I want whatever it is removed NOW! I know how to deal with SPIES!" The the cx walked into the house. I was standing there dumbstruck for a moment from the wild tirade that I had just witnessed and then his last words ("I know how to deal with SPIES!") really sank in and that little voice of self preservation that is deep inside all of us kicked in and tells me to GET THE F*CK OUT OF THERE! Now anyone who knows me and has ever seen me will atest, I am a big guy. I am not easily scared, and not affraid of any man regardless of their size, but one thing that can spook me is a crazy person like this cx (you never know what a person who is truely crazy will do). I got in my truck and got out of there then called the office to let them know what was up. The cx's mom called DTV and our office to ask why I had left and they told he it was because he son was acting unstable, asking if I worked for the FBI and was sent there to spy on him. The the mom starting asking the same paranoid questions to my office manager that her son had been asking me. I figured at the time that the son was either on crank or that he had failed to take his prescribed medications for awhile and was suffering from paranoid delusions as a result. But when my manager told me the mom was asking the same question I figured the delusions ran in the family.
This is CABL.com posting #175498. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mTOM
Posted in reply to: Craziest thing to happen while at an install? by IslandCableDog
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Craziest thing to happen while at an install? IslandCableDog 9/12/2006 6:15:00 AM