Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Install comparison Dish Vs. Directv

How about not even having to call an IVR anymore. With DISH, I use the onscreen activation. I get through that in a heartbeat. That little feature gets installers to hook up the prepacked phone jumper.

How about no required phone lines on DISH. The phone line requirement penalizes the customer, not the tech. I go to an install and I explain that a without a phone line, the customer pays for all 4 rooms but if they connect it, they only have to pay for 2. I tell the customer it saves them $120 a year. Needless to say, I install many phone lines and at the customer's expense. In fact, phone lines are my biggest producer in custom work and DTV wanted to take that away? Dish has actually created more custom work opportunities for me with their phone line situation.

Also, since Dish likes to give away equipment instead of programming, I have more opportunities to sell accessories for HD. I sell HDMI cables, PanaMax surge protectors, fiber optic for audio, etc. Anyone can make a few hundred extra a week selling the above. We can even sell TVs, so when a customer asks me about getting HD....the dollar signs start floating around my head.

When I installed Direct, all the customers seemed....poor. They were all getting 4-room standard systems (no phone requirement at the time), except for the occassional Tivo. The only enticement to get DTV was the $200 something in free programming. Talk about attracting the poor bastids. Also, since I was in Las Vegas at the time, nearly 3/4ths of all my installs were for the Para Todos package. Mexicans don't buy upsells. The last time they upgraded was when they ditched the knob-style TV and got Walmart's bottom of the line Orion TV.
This is CABL.com posting #174310. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mTvC
Posted in reply to: Re: Install comparison Dish Vs. Directv by bweiteka
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Install comparison Dish Vs. Directv oldschooldbstech 8/20/2006 2:49:00 PM
Re: Install comparison Dish Vs. Directv hootie hoot 8/20/2006 11:51:00 AM