Create your free account now! Sign up

Good Bye to the satellite industry

Well, afetr long and hard thought, I am joining the many who have had enough of thie satellite industry. I have been in it since Prime Star first started. I was the second certified tech in Central VA. I have seen the prices drop through the basement, techs (hacks) doing the jobs for next to nothing. And the demand on techs rise through the roof (free this, free that, free my ass).

The pricing has become slave labor. Those of you from Prime Star know phone lines were free, every job was a pole mount, every line was buried. The jobs were done right. When you were getting paid $149 for the first receiver and $50 each additional receiver and materials supplied to you from Prime Star, you did it right. It was a fun industry.

Todays pricing of $70 / $15 is pathetic. If it was actually the DTV standard install I guess it would not be so bad, but the HSP / MSP garbage of free pole mounts, free trenching, free this, free that, $10 back charges on phone lines that are ran but the customer does not have a land based phone line is redicilous. That brings the price down to $60/$5 after back charges with you supplying materials. How can a person live on that and prosper?

I guess if I did the work like the hacks out there I would not care, but I take pride in my work. I always had the mind set that if another tech ever had to go behind me on a job, the only thing I wanted him to be able to say is ...damn, nice job.

This industry just lost another good tech, I guess the hacks have more work now.

I wish all my friends in this buisness who have not seen the light open their eyes soon. I wish you all a good day.
This is CABL.com posting #173273. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mTeT
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Good Bye to the satellite industry Gwester843 8/5/2006 8:58:00 AM
Re: Good Bye to the satellite industry Dcableservices 8/4/2006 5:41:00 PM
Re: Good Bye to the satellite industry Dreamer 8/3/2006 1:02:00 PM