Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Something to consider

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Now I remember back in 1987 I was working lead on some major construction in upstate NY making $30 an hour, working 50 hours a week and being quite pleased with myself.
Well along comes the big guy and says we are going to have a big employee breakfast next week because the local carpenters and joiners union is having a membership drive that was going to be to our benefit.
So next week rolls around and as I sat there sipping the weak diner coffee and munching my bagel listening to the yada, yada, yada, of brotherhood and job protection, me being ignorant of unions at this time sat there saying "sounds good to me, where do I sign". So after shaking the sweaty hand of the rep and him telling me that if I sign now and paid 4 months in advance I would get a special discount on the application fee's and those first four months dues, and because of my position and skill levels I could sign in as a commercial journeymen "at this moment", and they could even deduct it from my next paycheck if I didn't have it on me, I went "wow, how sweet, sign me up". So after filling out the forms and putting my signiture on them I again got the sweaty handshake and was told "hey, breakfast is on me".
So off I go back to work gleefully thinking "wow, I'm a union man now". Well boys and girls, that was the last week I worked on that site making $30 an hour. Come next monday I was told that the only work they had was for the apprentices, but that he had some non-union work on another site where I could set up forms for $12 an hour. I said no thank you in a less than polite manner and went home.
Well when I arrived home to find the mail had gotten there along with my union book and some bills, I decided to call the rep and relay my plight to him. Well I was thanked for my support and told that because I'm a new member that there were others waiting before me for work and that "apprentices" had priorty right now so that they could be trained, and that I could drive 60 miles up to Oneonta and file a greivence.
So at this point I calmly grab a small box, copy the return address from the manilla envelope onto the top of that box, insert my newly aquired union book and stamps into that box and proceed to take a huge steaming dump into the box onto that book and seal it up really good and ups it back from whence it came.

Motto of this story goes "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me"

NEVER AGAIN
This is CABL.com posting #171185. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSHd
Posted in reply to: Re: Something to consider by NINEFINGERS
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Something to consider bushmaster 7/3/2006 10:38:00 AM