Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Another Shop Votes Yes!

I understand the HSP is a contractor. But the HSPs Im referring to are those who control the contractors they use.

Contractors are REQUIRED to where uniforms that are not THEIR company uniforms. When the HSPs give them the work, the work is prescheduled. The HSPs use tech #s. The work is given out by tech #s assigned to the contractors. The contractor is not even allowed to distribute the work out as they please. Essentially the HSP routes everything to each tech #. All the contractor does is hand it to the techs. They have no control.

Then theres the checking in to the HSP dispatch centers. I think they have to call there 3 times per order. They even control who the contractor hires or fires. All this equals control.

HSPs should be allowing the contractors to tell them daily what time slots they have open. The contractor should be telling you how many AMs and PMs he is slotted for, he should recieve the orders in 1 bulk and then distribute it to their techs as they please.

Your contract with DTV obviously does not promote HSPs to use contractors. But they are forced to becuse of the high turn-over rates in your employee ranks. You are forced to contract out work but are also forced to control them like they are your employees, which is not legal.

Seems like you are putting the blame on DTV a bit. It wont work. The HSP will be the one to suffer the consequences. I dont push for contractors to organize, but I do feel getting our side of the business back above board is important to the contractors and to the employees joining the union. Cable is a good exaple. My feelings is you cant organize and bargain in good faith in a bad faith business model. The contractor/sub-contractor relationships must be put to the test to find out if they are real.
This is CABL.com posting #170436. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSu8
Posted in reply to: Re: Another Shop Votes Yes! by SatSouth
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Another Shop Votes Yes! SatSouth 6/19/2006 12:16:00 PM