Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Latest news on Verizon

The boring part I was referring to is me rambling on about the internet...and why most people don't need 20mb of downstream.

I agree that a company that has ftth has the most "potential" to offer more content, but remember, the telcos business model doesn't allow them to move as quickly as a smaller catv company, or even a large catv company. They are slow to react to changes in the market, and the only thing they have shown they can do quickly is cut prices to compete. This can be effective, but offering up more services or content is just not something they do very quickly. Albeit, they do have a lot of money to put into whatever they do move on, mostly from their cell divisions.

I think in the next few years, the smaller catv companies will have to be more creative than the telcos with how they offer their services. It will be a leapfrog type of thing for quite a while, though. CATV will start offering more BW choices for internet, like some are doing now, and the telcos will offer more HD. CATV will eliminate more analog, and match the HD offering, and raise the bar with targeted local programming, or sell On-demand local programming, etc.

One thing to consider as well, if you haven't already, is that Sprint-Nextel is making deals with the larger CATV companies so that they can also offer the 4-play, all-in-one bill like the telcos do. Video, voice, data, & cell.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, we are getting back to the large corporations running everybody out, or buying them outright. But although Verizon's ftth is loaded with potential to cause problems for catv ops out there, I think they are about 7-10 years out from using that potential.

But we'll see, in the meantime, catv should position itself to compete more long-term, by not investing more than they need to sustain old technology and start getting more creative with the markets they will be competing heavily in. Just my opinion of course.
This is CABL.com posting #170114. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSpW
Posted in reply to: Re: Latest news on Verizon by nrb1
There are 0 replies to this message