Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Payback

Gwester you are wrong, both oldschool and I know for a fact that they can fire you and get away with it because it happened to us when we tried to organize a union at the HSP we used to work for. The union did go to bat for us but it never got much past a complaint to the labor board. The LB did a half-a$$ed investigation and concluded that eventhough it was widely known that we were organizers of the union, that there was no evidence that our firings were due to that. None of our former co-workers (for whom we put our jobs on the line so we could get a union in place that would better us all) would come forward and tell it like it was because they were too affraid of losing their jobs as well.
But eventhough we were fired and didn't get back pay and job reenstatement as we had hoped I can say I am still and will for some time to come be pro-union.
Oldschool may be right about keeping things hush hush, but in some ways I feel it might be better to be upfront right from the get-go about your pro-union stance and activities. If you bring up the subject of unionizing during a staff meeting while everyone is there and let them know you are pro-union it may put a target on your back, but atleast then if you are fired no one can later say they didn't know what you were doing.
This is CABL.com posting #168339. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRXj
Posted in reply to: Re: Payback by Gwester843
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Payback Gwester843 5/18/2006 7:05:00 PM