Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: presidents speech

Do you have any idea how long the process is to get a relative into this country legally? I can tell you first hand (being the husband of a Colombian native) that it can take anywhere between 1-10 years depending on what the persons relationship to you is and the backlog of cases the USCIS has at the time of filing a petition. For enstance to get a fiancee' or spouse into the county takes between 1-3 years (I didn't have to go through this as I met my wive here, but I know many people who have gone through this process). To get a step-child or adopted child in takes about the same. For a parent it takes nearly 5 years. For a brother or sister it often takes upwards of 7 years. Any other relatives takes about 10 years. And thats if the petitions are approved the first time. The petition process is not easy and the instructions for all the papaerwork is not always clear. If the petitioner doesn't have a lawyer or someone who knows how to fill out the papers properly the petiton my be turned down and the person forced to apply more than once. Each form and each filling require fees. Some of the fees are low and some are high. And the person filling the petition as the "sponsor" of the immigrant must have a certain level of income depending on the number of people they are sponsering. In my case, at the time I applied for my wife I was only making enough to qualify as her sponsor and I could not qualify to sponsor my unmairried step-daughter. Now that my wife has been approved (we have been married nearly 5 years and she just got her greencard in Mar 2005), I am having to apply for my step-daughter.
So, knowing how long the process takes I would say this flood of relatives coming in will be more like a trickle. The USCIS may get flooded with petitions for relatives, but a flood of petitions will only load up the system and draw out the process from the current 1-10 years to possibly a maximum of 15 or maybe even 20 years.
This is CABL.com posting #168157. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRUn
Posted in reply to: Re: presidents speech by (67)
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: presidents speech Clean Splice 5/17/2006 11:57:00 AM
Re: presidents speech (67) 5/16/2006 3:14:00 PM