Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: hard on illegals?

Yes the cable & satellite companies are basically operating illegally when it comes to contract employees. They require the same things from them as they or other companies do of employees but deny them the benefits that usually come with fulltime employment, such as health insurance, overtime, worker's comp and unemployment. But until those contract employees are declared either by their employer or a court to be EMPLOYEES then they are not eligible for representation by the unions. They can have all the opinions on the subject they wish but their opinions carry no weight. It's like everyone (not necessarily I) saying the illegals have no rights to protest against our laws because they aren't citizens of this country, if that is correct then by the same thinking the contractors who are not employees nor eligible to become union members have no place in the union arguement until they become employees who are eligible. I'd love for all the installers, linemen and other folks in the cable and satellite biz to be eligible, then maybe the industry as a whole could come together and make things profitable for us all. But until such time the availability of union representation is only for those classified as an employee. If someone comes up with a union who would represent the contractors then I would gladly welcome any contractor's opinion on the subject, but until such time as that happens the opinion of a contractor (whether for or against unionizing) carries no weight in this discussion. Sorry if the truth hurts.

As for warren, he is still wrong on the dues issue. The CWA has compulsory dues only for union members. Membership in the CWA is VOLUNTARY not compulsory. Therefore there are no compulsory dues for all the employees of a company who is represented by the CWA. But, if a union is voted in at your company the union must represent all employees regardless of whether the employee is a card carrying dues paying union member or not. No one is forced to join the union. Get your facts straight nimrod. It's all mind over matter, I don't mind, cuz warren, you don't matter.
This is CABL.com posting #166969. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRBd
Posted in reply to: Re: hard on illegals? by crawl2much
There are 0 replies to this message