Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Drop Bury Equipment

If you chose to go with a machine , I would chose a walk-behind , either a DitchWitch SX100 ( some have been offered for sale in the classified lately ) , or a Vermeer Line-Ward . Ditch-Witch model is rubber tired , and Vermeer is rubber-tracked . Either can be loaded in a small pick-up , van , or towed on a very small trailer . Both have plow blades that can be adjusted for desired depth .
If you chose to " hand-kick " , the widest flat spade you can find , the better . Some landscape supply houses carry some excellent ones for the job . Unfortunately , the very best ones I have run across , are all-metal ( dangerous conductors of electrical current , and are outlawed by several State Ocupational Safety Hazard Administrations . I still continue to use them occassionally , of course , with much cation and finess ( sp ? ) Please , do not even think of my mention of these all-metal as any sort of recommendation , it is only a choice I make .
My experience has been , a two-man crew works out great , either hand-kicking or using a machine . Hand-kicking , 2 men can achieve 20-30 drops a day , depending on length of drops , and travel time between locations . 2 men can kick the line , and then , the 2nd man feeds the cable in while the 1st pries the grove open . Afterwards , one man packs down the grove with a flat plate tamper , while the other either makes the connections and packs up . Finish the paper work , and you are on to the next . 2nd man can be navigating you there with the map , while you drive .
If a machine crew , the second man helps feed the cable into the plow chute , and keeps the kinks out of the line . He digs the starter pit . He can finish the kick to the ground block or riser or ped/pole , while you load the machine . ( be sure to get a set of ramps unless using a trailer , which usually is a tilt , or comes with a tailgate that doubles as a ramp . Both restitch the sod/grass back together , tamp it , and , i suggest hard or soft rake , to help remove the machine tracks , if any .
If your drop depth specs change , please contact me , and I will give you my suggestions , knowledge , and experience on larger drop-bury machines . (wave)(nod)(cool)(sunny)
This is CABL.com posting #166174. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRoo
Posted in reply to: Re: Drop Bury Equipment by cablecity
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Drop Bury Equipment crzyincbl 4/20/2006 11:39:00 AM