Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Dish Monkeys

Thank you Bros' for backing me up on this one . I knew what I was talking about . One of my first jobs ever in CATV , over 16 years ago , was performing Requests for Service Surveys . Training was provided by the Construction Manager of the CATV Provider we worked for ( Excaliber Cable , Ltd. , working for Jones Intercable ) That system is now part of Comcast . Trained by the local tel and power representatives as well at the time , reguarding Right-of-Way and Attachments ( Pole and otherwise ) . I had to survey , design , and map thousands of requests . Nothing was more satisfying at the time , then turning in my paperwork regarding a prospective CATV customer who had been told time and time again they could not get cable , and then , seeing the New Construction crew in less than a month juicin' them up ( from The Cable Guy movie , not Larry { Get-R-Dun } . At the same time , I also handled CATV locating for 4 rural counties . The jobs kinda went hand in hand . Those were the days ! Killer hours . Killer paychecks . 1,5 - 2K a week .
Since then , I tried to always choose to work for companies that had training programs that covered more than just " the Basics " . Couldn't begin to count the number of times I have offered free , helpful advice to Techs , Supervisors , and Managers who should have known more than me . Well , enough of that.
Any way , I sure wish everyone in the business could / ( or would be mandatory ) recieve an extensive amount of advanced training . I do not wish to degrade any Bro' in our industry , who may be lacking more than basic knowledge . I encourage them to learn . What I am afraid of , for their better well fare , is that they may some day find themselves in a very comprimising situation . It only takes being in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing . Then , at that very moment , they will determine that what they have done is either illegal ( such as damaging property { especially another utility's }, unsafe ( injurious ) , or in worst case senario , incompatible with human life ( fatal ) .
This is why I believe some form of Brotherhood needs to be formed , with standardized training , and degrees of skill levels , so that none of us find ourselves in situations we will regret . These " companies " that hire anyone off the streets , and fail to provide adequate training , need to be held accountable / liable for their total disregard of life , limb , and property .
I am sorry if I seem to be ranting , or sound like a broken record , but , I have seen and heard enough , and can no longer sit back and watch the Cable Industry ( which is a large part of my career of choice ) be slowly destroyed , without speaking my piece of mind . Again , Bros' , thanks for the back up . I will try to do the same , if a similar situation occurs , and I can provide from my own knowledge and experience . (wave)
This is CABL.com posting #165213. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQ8T
Posted in reply to: Re: Dish Monkeys by crawl2much
There are 0 replies to this message