Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: chat script?

I did run a dedicated chat server and had a java chat app built-in as part of the Bar years ago, but it was almost never used. One person, I forget who now, would arrange a time for a weekly chat but that only lasted a short time and relatively few participated. The vast majority of people prefer to "chat" in the forums so that's what I've concentrated on. The "Casual" category was added just for this purpose.

I've only had an occasional request about a separate chat page, maybe once every 4-6 months, so I don't think there's much demand for it still. It definately isn't enough to warrant a full-blown IRC chat server again. I have considered adding a "chat" category in discussion that would not be a forum but rather a chat-type script, but haven't researched what that would involve yet. When I looked a few years ago web scripts were not a very good choice for chat. Too inefficient when the server was already at 50% load. Maybe with the more powerful server and assuming more efficient scripts it could be feasible now. If enough want it I'll look into it again.
This is CABL.com posting #164008. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQPs
Posted in reply to: chat script? by midspan28
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: chat script? gaffmatic 5/25/2006 9:39:00 PM
Question for the Administrator oldschooldbstech 5/18/2006 2:23:00 PM
Re: chat script? nrb1 3/23/2006 8:03:00 PM
Re: chat script? midspan28 3/23/2006 4:55:00 PM