Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Overtime pay on piece work

What you seem to not understand is that it does not matter what I consider myself. It does not matter what the company considers me. What matters is, does the relationship I have with the company meet the legal definition of contractor or employee. Thats it. What you consider yourself means nothing. Its the relationship you have with the other party that makes you employee or contractor. People seem to think you can wake up and call yourself employee or contractor, you cant.

This is not my thing. This stuff was here way before me. This industry advocates illegal activity, fine. I guess thats just the way it is. Personally I think its bad for the worker bees. Let me explain why.

Company A follows the ALL the rules. Company B cheats. Company A believes that an installers at top pay as an employee should make 25/hr. Company B feels installers should make what ever is left after all other expenses. Company A bids on a contract with figures that will allow him to pay 24/hr + benefits, obey all laws and play all taxes employers are required to pay. Company bids on contract with figures just to get the contract. Installer pay is not relevant. He will just pay them what he can. And he knows they will not complain as he knows they are just happy to be working.

Company B gets contract. He survives by breaking laws. The prime contractor sees how this company shows disregard for laws and doesnt mind because this company accepts low rates and saves them money and all the risk is on Company B. if company B gets caught company B goes down, not the prime. The prime loves the fact that these companies will risk their business and break laws, instead of bidding higher. They couldn't ask for anything more.

The results of this is lower pay while the business booms. The workers bees get less while making more for the "suits". Someone said,"only the strong". then the "can" an "can not" statement. Sounds very nice and prideful. But explain to me where is the example of strength in this industry, and tell me, what exactly is it that those that "can", can do. If its make other people rich, I agree.
This is CABL.com posting #163568. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQIm
Posted in reply to: Re: Overtime pay on piece work by dumyid
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Overtime pay on piece work Trey9007 3/17/2006 11:54:00 PM